[PSDR] Reference antenna problems

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Dec 11 02:23:40 PST 2012

Hello,

So I tried to measure the reference antennas (simple dipoles).  It's
kind of a disaster.  With the antennas only 2ft apart:

The received signal is pretty weak:

The marker is down 20dB from the previous measurement:

I guess that pair of sectors I was using were really helping things
out.  I'm also concerned about the uneven response, but that could be
multipath given the really low signal levels.  Does anyone have any
experience with antenna measurement like this?  I'm thinking my next
step is using the 21dBi parabolic dishes as the reference antennas
instead.  Having thought about it, the high directional gain, although
it would need precise alignment to make accurate measurements, would
help with ignoring/overcoming multipath, no? Some of those peaks and
valleys might disappear.  A 20dB range over the spectrum is pretty
ridiculous.