[PSDR] We now have a properly characterized reference antenna!

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Dec 12 05:46:12 PST 2012

Hello,

I was able to finish the software and experimental work required to
fully characterize the errors of the reference antenna!  Full details,
including code, new graphs and exact reference antenna gain
characteristics here:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Antenna+Analysis&structure=HamWAN

What this means is we have a properly calibrated field strength emission
system and any antennas dropped into it and measured will result in ONLY
their characteristics showing up in the readings! I've settled on the
use of a high directivity antenna to minimize and ignore the impact of
multipath effects.

Now the next step is to drop the candidate antennas into the test setup
and compare their behavior with respect to frequency.  After that, I
need to get busy on building the rotor rig to be able to measure
radiation patterns, not just frequency response.

Ever onward,