[HamWAN PSDR] Updated antenna radiation pattern software + some more readings

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Feb 5 22:05:48 PST 2013

Hello,

So I've improved the radiation pattern software to automatically:

1) Normalize the graphs to 0dB
2) Rotate the peak amplitude to the 0 degree position
3) Find the -3dB power points and calculate beamwidth
4) Measure the -120 and +120 degree power levels (adjacent antenna
interference angles)
5) Detect the angular measurement resolution
6) Generate R-code for graphing
7) Spit out all the numerical details that belong with the pretty picture

Using this wonderful new automation (so easy to do now!) I put the ARC
Wireless "variable sector" "120 degree" antenna through its various
settings.  The results are on the antenna's lab page:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=ARC+ARC-VS5818SD1&structure=HamWAN

The bogosity of "variable sector" is visible as the radiation pattern
hardly budges between 60deg, 90deg and 120deg adjustment positions.
This a fixed 60 degree sector antenna as far as I can tell.  If HamWAN
was using 6-sector cells it would be perfect.

Next I re-ran the measurements on the Laird, with the results updated on
the antenna's lab page:

https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Laird+SAH58-120-16-WB&structure=HamWAN

Pretty good show, just like last time.  A calculated 3dB beamwidth of
111 degrees is a lot closer to the 120 deg spec than the ARC Wireless.
The +/- 120 deg rejection though could be nasty in real life.  Gotta
check it out without all these echoes.

One obvious thing is that the graph isn't centered correctly.  This is
because the centering/rotation algorithm aligns the 0 deg mark with the
maximum signal reading over the whole pass.  In this case, that was an
off-center lobe on the front face of the antenna.  I need to re-work the
auto-centering so that it uses the -3dB points instead and centers right
in the middle of them.  But tomorrow, too tired tonight.

In short, the sector antenna story is sucking.  We need good + cheap
sector antennas for this thing to work!  The Laird is $180/ea with
questionable +/- 120 deg rejection.