[HamWAN PSDR] My new favorite website: AT&T Long Lines

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Mon Feb 11 16:54:06 PST 2013

<http://long-lines.net/places-routes/index.html>
<http://long-lines.net/places-routes/index.html>http://long-lines.net/index.html

So much great information.  Did you know the horn antennas of 1955 had a
6GHz gain of 43dBi and were tri-banders?  (4+6+11GHz)  To get an
accurate radiation pattern measurement the engineers of yesteryear
utilized a pulse measurement technique, which lets you avoid reflections
in your readings! http://long-lines.net/tech-equip/radio/BLR1155/403.html

How about browsing a nice microwave map of Washington:

http://long-lines.net/places-routes/maps/WA76.html

Looks like AT&T made many of the same site choices the current HamWAN
map has, but decades earlier.  I am in awe of what old timey engineers
managed to pull off before I was even born.  And it wasn't just phone
calls, they moved television over that network!