[HamWAN PSDR] Testing performance of OFDM systems / radios

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Mon Feb 18 12:39:09 PST 2013

Does anyone know how to do this?  I have a bunch of ideas written down
at the Radio Analysis
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Radio+Analysis&structure=HamWAN>
page, but honestly it feels like stabs in the dark. I don't have any
true noise generators with adjustable bandwidth (donate! :)), so my
simulated wideband interference signal consists of a bunch of peaks
instead (FM'ing a carrier with a sine wave). Any tips or help appreciated.

Also seeking 1W+ 20dB+ 6GHz+ attenuators, and splitters/combiners (with
good isolation) that can work @ 6GHz+.  I'd like to simulate a full cell
site (3 PtMP sectors + some PtP links) within a totally confined coaxial
system, and inject arbitrary noise into it.  Given the cost of these
microwave attenuators + splitters, it might be easier to set it up with
real antennas instead.  But that has problems of environmental noise and
multipath / echoes.

Linked from the Radio Analysis page is the RouterBoard Metal 5SHPn
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=RouterBoard+Metal+5SHPn&structure=HamWAN>
page.  It has the result of 1 performance test so far, dealing with
amplifier clipping leading to increased sideband energy.  This is of
great importance in designing sectorized systems.  When these unexpected
sideband emissions leak into adjacent antennas, you can shoot yourself
in the foot.  So I'm trying to characterize the tolerance of the radios
to nearby or in-band interference.  Doing this in TDMA/OFDM space is not
trivial.