[HamWAN PSDR] Sector antenna radiation geometry and alignment procedure

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Feb 21 03:38:59 PST 2013

Hello,

I'm about to start measuring the vertical radiation patterns of the
sector antennas here.  But before I start that exercise, I thought it'd
be good to understand the vertical radiation requirements first!  To
this end, I've updated the Radio Frequency Engineering
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Radio+Frequency+Engineering&structure=HamWAN>
page with a semi-bogus example (does not account for ground elevation at
the client side) between Cougar Mtn and Paine Field.  From the example,
I also outlined a procedure for sector alignment to achieve the correct
radiation pattern in the real world.

Any comments or suggestions for improvement?  Seeing the actual geometry
is kind of startling.

I think it'd be helpful to translate and import the actual sector
antenna radiation pattern readings being done in the lab to Radio Mobile
.ant files and simulate coverage based on real topographical data.
Anyone feel like writing the conversion software, or is familiar with
.ant file format?  I don't think it's possible to feed it 3D radiation
patterns, but at least AZ/EL single polar scans should give something
useful.