[HamWAN PSDR] Sector self-interference rough results

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Feb 21 23:51:18 PST 2013

Hello,

I setup 2 similar sectors (in terms of their +/- 120 deg attenuation
characteristics) on a section of Rohn 25, angled at 120 deg away from
each other.  The Laird and the 19dBi Ubiquiti were the specific sectors
used.  I was able to measure the path loss between them as -65dB.  This
seems pretty good!  But maybe it's not enough.  With +31dBm @ full power
on one sector, 65dB of attenuation results in -34dBm out-of-band power
at the adjacent receiver.  The attenuation of this remaining -34dBm is
left up to the receiver filter skirts. By transmitting low-power in-band
packets into this same receiver, a throughput slow-down was observed.

Shifting the interfering RF 30MHz further away from the channel being
measured paradoxically resulted in a FURTHER slow-down.  This is not
consistent with filter skirt behavior.  Something else must be at play.

These are pretty rough results, since the setup is entirely in my garage
and is subject to tight confinement which means lots of reflections.

I need to test the path loss when the sectors are spaced further apart,
to simulate a larger tower structure, or the presence of an intentional
separation system.  In a real-world deploy the sectors may also be
staggered vertically to minimize coupling.

I should also try building shields to see if that improves isolation.
As Rob pointed out, gotta be really careful about destructive
interference bouncing off these shields.  Which means measuring FR over
several angles.  Good thing a 2-axis positioning rig is on the way to
facilitate this kind of testing.  :)

RF is hard.