[HamWAN PSDR] POLL: How do you feel about HamWAN network having shared control of the microwave modem @ your location?

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu Feb 28 16:16:40 PST 2013

Hello,

Keeping the network and all client devices correctly configured is no
easy feat.  These are complicated devices with 100s of settings, which
will need to change in coordinated ways over time.  To ensure correct
operation, it would make sense for the HamWAN network to push updates
and change settings on end-user modems.  Almost all ISPs run this way
already.  The difference is you can still login + control your device,
but any setting changes you make which make the device non-compliant in
ways HamWAN cares about would be automatically overridden with a config
update from the network.  If the network can't control and repair your
device settings, you would lose authorization onto the network until the
settings are fixed.

I see this shared administration model as the only one that's feasible
in keeping a reliable network running.

Please let me know if you are OK with it, if you object to it, or if you
have a better idea.

Thanks,