[HamWAN PSDR] Alpha testers needed for HamWAN sites

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Jul 31 14:09:05 PDT 2013

Hello,

We've been super busy with getting physical hardware up and on the air,
so we could use some help in terms of end-user testing of these sites.
One project member recently did a really great test
<https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8174/2013-07-28%2014.04.10.jpg> of
the Everett site from a northern Camano Island location.  He got signal
strengths suggesting full-speed service was available that far out, near
Stanwood, about 21 miles away from the Everett site.  We did not have
time to do more detailed testing.

I'd like to get more data points like this collected, and I'd like
people to start being connected 24/7 so that we may measure reliability
and such.  If you are "near" Everett (if you can call 21 miles away
near!), or near Capitol Hill, then there is a site for you to test!
Hopefully after this weekend, if you're near Enumclaw all the way out to
Tacoma, there'll be a site you can try connecting to.  The Sites wiki
page
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Sites&structure=HamWAN>
has been updated with the coverage maps of each sector antenna at each
site.  That's the best way to figure out if you're covered, so check it out!

We don't have the plug-n-play solutions ready to go yet, so you'll need
to get help from others who are on the network already to configure your
modem.  IRC channel #HamWAN on the irc.freenode.org network has been a
good place for this kind of support.  You can also use the
psdr at hamwan.org mailing list (email psdr-join at hamwan.org to join).

BIG FAT DISCLAIMER: The network stack is nowhere near final config, so
as alpha testers, you will not be experiencing the network as it is
intended.  There are plans to make the cyberspace stuff run much more
smoothly, but we're focusing nearly 100% of our time on hardware
deployment this summer.

--Bart

PS: Please be respectful with the replies, as I've cross-posted this to
3 lists.  Don't spam all 3 lists with discussion.  Pick one list to
reply to and stick with it.  Thank you! :)