[HamWAN PSDR] Mesh backbone

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Mar 12 14:16:35 PDT 2013

Hi Craig,

First, let's speak the same language.

There's a lot of confusion around the word "MESH".  I'm also not sure
why it's always capitalized.  It's not an acronym as far as I know.  The
term "mesh network" describes nothing more than the logical topology of
a network.  There's a really good write-up on this at the wikipedia page
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mesh_networking>.  I'm pretty sure that
when you (and others on this email) use the phrase "mesh network" it is
not the wikipedia definition you're intending.  It means something
different, including:

1) Using a common RF channel
2) Promiscuous neighbor discovery + association
3) Automatic IP configuration based on MAC
4) Nearly open node authentication
5) Omnidirectional operation
6) WDS <http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_distribution_system>-style
operation

These are the typical traits of a SeattleWireless
<http://seattlewireless.net/> style mesh network (which, BTW, has been
attempting to bootstrap itself for the last 13 years).  This type of
definition of "mesh network" is quite a different animal from the
canonical mesh network definition (wikipedia's, derived from network
theory).

The reason I want to make the distinction clear is that nearly all large
networks in the world are indeed mesh networks, but nearly none of them
possess the qualities of 1-6.  So when I say something like "HamWAN
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php> is a mesh network", I want it
to be clear that I'm referring to the network topology only (the
wikipedia definition).  I'm not sure what is the right word to describe
the other type of network; perhaps capitalizing all the letters is a
good differentiator after all.  :)

So, with the definitions out of the way, let me address your actual
email now that I can speak to it unambiguously.

I concur that we all want to implement a mesh network, but I don't think
everyone wants to implement a MESH network.  Phrasing the problem of
"how do we provide modern digital communications to the ham community"
in terms of "how do we implement a MESH network" is putting the cart
before the horse.  Over the last 6 months, I've been leading the HamWAN
effort to create solutions to the first question.  We've made
respectable progress on both the RF engineering and networking fronts.
We had a fully functional cell site setup @ last weekend's Flea Market.
This site design is about to start rolling out to the real world.

This transition in the project's status has allowed me to start thinking
about how HamWAN might integrate with other ham networking efforts.
We've had a good relationship with BCWARN.net
<http://www.bcwarn.net/intermapper/rf-map.html> for the last few months,
and integration with that network will be simple.  The physical links
are already planned in fact!  We're both excited to make it happen and
start exchanging traffic internationally!

The integration with NW-MESH efforts is far more challenging.  In fact,
it may be outright impossible unless changes are made in the NW-MESH
design.  From what I've seen, this difficulty of peering will be present
in all MESH networks.  The problems range from simple route exchange, to
address space conflicts, to policy propagation (access, QoS, filtering,
etc).  I don't even wanna think about DNS.  :P

Having said all that, there is some value to HamWAN using a MeSh (hybrid
of mesh and MESH) layer.  Traffic between nodes may flow more optimally
on the ground than through the mountain sites.  A nearby ham who doesn't
want to invest in a dish might get on HamWAN by MeShing with his
neighbor.  I'd be good for the health of HamWAN to make use of these
optimizations.  But like I said, in order for these routing decision to
be made correctly and automatically, NW-MESH designs will need to change.

I'd like to invite you (in fact, all of you) to join the HamWAN weekly
meeting today @ 7PM.  I'll re-send the connectivity details on the
but basically install Mumble <http://mumble.sourceforge.net/> 1.2.4
<http://mumble.info/snapshot/mumble-1.2.4-rc1-8-gb115a29.msi>+
(currently beta), and connect to BartK.us.  Please use a headset to
avoid generating echoes.

Craig, can you give me an idea of your skills?  Perhaps you would enjoy
solving these types of problems as part of the HamWAN development team?
We run a tight ship with specific assignments and weekly reporting.  I
believe this is the "small group of experts" approach you were
proposing.  :)

--Bart