[HamWAN PSDR] Mesh backbone

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Mar 12 16:29:08 PDT 2013

Everyone take a deep breath before reading the thread.  There is
conflict ahead, but we knew that. Read it only if you're willing to take
the view that what is written is done so under the best possible intentions.

On 03/12/2013 03:04 PM, ZPO wrote:
> Quick note before I get dragged back into work....
>
> Bart is correct that MESH has been overloaded as both a name for a
> topology and a proper noun for a specific implementation of a MANET.
> As long as we know what we're talking about, we can use either term.
> We can call it MANET which is technically accurate, or MESH since that
> is commonly used and understood.

I'm glad we agree on at least that.  :)  Let's stick with MESH in all
caps when referring to NW-MESH type stuff, since MANET can also mean a
network like HamWAN and we'd once again be ambiguous.

> I view the NW-MESH and HamWAN projects as complimentary.  HamWAN in
> general and the PSDR component in particular makes an excellent
> backbone transport network to move data around the wider area.
> NW-MESH works well to cover the last mile.

This is where I think HamWAN is being sold short, since it also works
great on the last mile.  Reason being is HamWAN sites are all planned to
be non-ground-level, so LoS probability increases which makes last mile
happy.  Your trip may be physically longer by a few miles, but the
latency and speed will still be good, if not better when compared to
multiple ground hops for the same distance.  In close-proximity
situations, the end-user-site to end-user-site direct connectivity of
NW-MESH I believe provides an optimization. A COUPLE hops of MeSh might
indeed be superior to traversing a busy sector.

> Full bidirectional
> interconnection of the networks has some significant challenges as
> Bart states.  They are surmountable, but there are some issues to
> address.

I'm glad we both recognize this fact.

>    On the other hand, using the PSDR as a transport means for
> interconnecting pockets of NW-MESH is not terribly difficult and can
> be done rather simply.

It sure can!  But read on to the last point.

> I greatly prefer to keep the projects separate and have a
> collaboration on the interface between the two efforts outside the
> mainline work of either.  The projects have differing goals, differing
> timelines, and differing concepts.

And I'd greatly prefer to merge the projects, because I'm not convinced
that we do have differing goals.  If our goals can be communally stated
as "provide the amateur radio community with a fast wide-area
multi-megabit IP-based digital network that can scale and out-last
either of us", then I think we have a chance at merging, because that's
pretty much the HamWAN mission statement. For the more detailed version,
see the official HamWAN mission statement
<https://www.hamwan.org/t/tiki-index.php?page=Constitution&structure=HamWAN>,
which is the first article of our constitution.

This is where I think you, Rob, and the rest of the NW-MESH team need to
get together with the HamWAN people to spell out exactly what it is that
each of us is trying to accomplish.  Do you have a mission statement you
can share?  Do you have a favorite low-noise public meeting location
with power + wifi?  Starbucks is sounding likely.

>    I'd like to see some more detail
> from Bart on what he sees as the large issues with bidirectional
> interconnection (I think I know most of them) or simply using the PSDR
> as transport via tunneling between access nodes.

So even though it's possible for HamWAN to act as a dumb pipe for
NW-MESH, this is not a fair arrangement for HamWAN.  If this were a
peering agreement at an Internet exchange, it would be considered a
violation of the terms of service set out in every Internet exchange I'm
aware of.  A fair peering agreement is where each network moves equal
amounts of data to and from a peer, where said traffic is between
clients of each network.  This means not via a peer network, and the
traffic is from/to clients of the same originating network.

With BCWARN, it's easy.  We each cover different regions, we each come
to the game with our own backbone transport, so we are indeed peers and
can exchange traffic as such with no ill feelings.  BCWARN also uses
OSPF/BGP and public IP addresses, which simplifies matters even more.
They also have restrictions in place as to who can participate so we're
not carrying questionable traffic on HamWAN. In short, all the bases are
covered and we're happy to peer.

I'd rather not spell out the NW-MESH incompatibilities with networks
like BCWARN and HamWAN in this email, simply because I don't feel
qualified.  I'll need to ask questions in order to fully explore the
subject.  This is where I think it makes sense to have a meeting between
our groups and hash these technical things out.  Off the top of my head,
the attributes of using 10/8 space is a problem since it can conflict
with people's home networks (and other reasons), as is the access policy
since as far as I know any non-ham can just get the key and join a
NW-MESH node.  Correct me if I'm wrong.

Hell, I don't even know if NW-MESH is running part 97 or part 15 rules.
What say you? :)

--Bart