[HamWAN PSDR] another HamWAN success!

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Fri Nov 1 14:09:18 PDT 2013

Back in mid-October we performed a link test from Providence Colby Hospital
to Snohomish County DEM at Paine Field.

Last Saturday we performed a test from another Snohomish County hospital -
Valley General in Monroe - also to Paine Field.

This shot was a little more challenging due to trees immediately across the
block in the RF path.  After scouting around the available roof space, we
were able to find a spot on the south side of the hospital with an open
path.

Unfortunately we didn't bring a tripod along, but we "made do" with a ladder
to help steady the hand-held dish.  With this "Redneck Tripod" we were able
to peak the signal at about -64 to -65.  Nowhere nearly as good as the
Providence link, but still plenty good enough to get a 6Mbit throughput test
up and down.  I expect that a more solid tripod will give us an even better
signal.

This gives us two key EMCOMM facilities with good connection capabilities to
HamWAN.

Our next step is to put together a presentation to the respective
administrations to get buy-off on installing HamWAN at those facilities.

Thanks to Dave Williamson (WA7DGW), Steve Elli (KF7LKA), and Bart (AE7SJ)
for tagging along during the adventure and helping out.

Cheers,

Rob Salsgiver - NR3O