[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN portable

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Sat Oct 5 09:12:30 PDT 2013

On Fri, Oct 4, 2013 at 11:31 PM, Scott Honaker <scotthon at pilchuckvet.com> wrote:

> I'd like to create a portable system.  I'm thinking a radio, dish, tripod
> and WAP.  Does anyone have a clever dish/tripod mount thing?   I'd like to
> find something that makes it easy to point/aim.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/8174/2013-07-28%2014.04.10.jpg

Here's my portable setup. I've used this for a few signal surveys.

It's the standard recommended Poynting grid antenna, RB Metal 5SHPn,
satellite TV tripod, and a 9AH 11.1V LiPo battery (yes, the 5SHPn runs
just fine on 12V).

Here's a link to the tripod:
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0021AFB56/

Keep in mind you'll need enough height to clear obstructions, so if
you're not on waterfront/hillside, this tripod might not be adequate
for supporting your mast. As it is, I'd want something to anchor it
during anything more than light winds.

I'm feeding this directly into a computer, but you could just as
easily feed a 2.4 GHz AP. I actually did this at a public service
event with a Ubiquiti Bullet M2 and antenna mounted to the top of this
same tripod mast, again powered by a 9AH 11.1V LiPo battery (sorry,
forgot to take a picture of this setup).

Tom KD7LXL