[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN portable

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat Oct 5 19:41:14 PDT 2013

We don't have good data on trees.  We should certainly develop some.
How much attenuation does a trunk of X diameter present?  Is there a
variation between trees?  How does it scale with diameter?  What about
branches/needles?  I can tell you that I shoot through trees about a
mile away, but the fresnel zone helps me out there.  I can also tell you
that rain affects me, but not because of the rain itself!  On a clear
shot with rain, there's hardly any signal degradation.  It's the fact
that the rain coats the trees in a film of water, and that seems to be
the killer of signal.  In my case, I think I lose about 8dB, but we
don't have good data on this either.  It's gonna take a while to build
it since we don't control the weather...yet.  :)

Where are you located?  We can do a path analysis and see if we can help
you do a site survey.

--Bart