[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN use cases [was: hamwan.net DDNS]

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Fri Apr 18 22:10:53 PDT 2014

On 2014-04-18 19:06, Bart Kus wrote:
> On 04/18/2014 01:59 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q wrote:
>>
>>> Yup, totally agree that's how you do a good booth.  We do have
>>> portable demo gear as well.  Little 21dBi dishes with modems
>>> dangling off em.
>>
>> Which dishes?  Any suitable dishes available where the MikroTik
>> *attaches* and doesn't *dangle*?
>
> The little 21dBi guys still dangle.  But, if you want direct-attach,
> here are a couple options:
>
> http://www.antennas.com/dish-antennas-2/dual-pol-dish-antennas/

Thanks!  However, for portable use, I think I'm looking for something
with a little larger beamwidth, maybe 20-30 degrees. Bill's list looks
reasonable.

> Beware the shipping on the larger (3ft) one, it can be a killer.  The
> smaller (2ft) one is reasonable though.  You'll need a right-angle N
> connector (supplied with 5SHPn) to fire up the H-pol.  The 2ft dish
> will have lower gain than the Poynting though, so beware. The 3ft dish
> will have higher gain than Poynting.

>>> Wanna throw a better web site presentation together in this regard?
>>> I can hook you up with editor access.
>>
>> Yes.
>>

> OK, what's your username on the website?  Have you worked a tikiwiki
> before?  Perhaps install a copy locally to practice the
> syntax/format/plugins/etc.  Feel free to drop into #HamWAN for
> real-time editing help.

I've used a wiki a small amount before.  Probably the best thing is to
create an near-empty page for me to start in.

I didn't know I had a username on the web site.  If you are referring to
my name in the mailing list, it's "Dean Gibson AE7Q".

>>> What kind of speeds do you get on the Frontier?  I heard they really
>>> rolled back since it was FiOS.
>>
>> I just did a test accessing CenturyLink's test page:
>>
>>   * Frontier FiOS:  25.6Mbps down, 12.0 up.
>>   * Comcast RG-6:  28.5Mbps down, 5.8 up.
>>

> Are those in-line with the advertised "service speeds"?

I think so.

> BTW, if you're doing Bill's request for Internet speed, feel free to
> also do a /tool bandwidth-test to your next-hop for HamWAN. That'll
> show where the slow-downs are.  Either on the link to you, or
> somewhere deeper in the network/Internet.  You may have to open the
> firewall some more to allow the right packets through for that test.
> The bandwidth-test server on sector 2 is wide open, no authentication
> required.

ps: Please delete my "pending" eMail sent to the list with the wrong
"From" address.