[HamWAN PSDR] director responsibilities

Nigel Vander Houwen nigelvh at gmail.com
Tue Feb 18 10:22:22 PST 2014

Rob,

I agree that the directors need to play a more active role in the
administration of the network. Particularly around voting. However, I have
to disagree with some of the implications you've made.

Organizations, businesses, and governments are built on trust. They simply
cannot survive without them. At the end of the day you MUST trust somebody.
To use your example "the potential for one person to drain the bank account
or other (insert your favorite foolhardy) act." How is this any different
from any business? You have an accountant or controller with the keys to
the kingdom, being the bank account, and you trust them to do their job
responsibly. You may trust them because you believe they won't violate it
because they want to get paid or for fear of repercussions, but it is trust
the same.

Having a checks and balances situation here only gives you the opportunity
to say "Hey, we didn't authorize that!", and doesn't actually protect you
from them draining the bank account in the first place (from the
aforementioned example). And while I agree that even what checks/balances
gives us (deniability) is a good thing, requiring extraordinary measures
(like requiring ALL directors to vote) will easily become a hindrance to
the project, and buy us very very little in my opinion.

Perhaps, at some point in the future, I would amenable to implementing
something that I think is perhaps a bit more reasonable, say a majority of
directors vote YAY. However, based on where we are now, considering the few
people that (given the current constitution) are eligible to be directors,
let alone are willing to serve in that capacity, I believe we stand where
we've stood before, in that we have to trust the people we elect to be
directors to make decisions for the good of the project and in a
responsible manner, as well as expect them to be active in their elected
roles.

Lastly, this is certainly a personal opinion, and I cannot speak for
others, but we are in amateur radio as a hobby. We do it because it is
enjoyable. It is not a job, and while we strive hard to provide the best
service possible, it's too easily forgotten that we are ALL volunteers. Our
time, our money, our expertise is freely given to the project because we
enjoy doing so. Let's continue to do that, and not make it another job that
we will never get paid for.

Thanks,
Nigel

--