[HamWAN PSDR] The 3rd time is not charmed [was: 8dB drop/rise!]

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Mon Jul 21 11:24:13 PDT 2014

Have you looked at the possibility that your modem is negotiating a
higher link speed over time and that's the cause for the gradual signal
level loss?  When you reboot these things and they aren't pressed to
move data, they opt for the slowest (and highest power) modulation.  As
data comes in for them to move, if they build up queues, they try higher
order modulations, which make use of amplitude modulation, and reduce
the average power level.

It is possible to instruct the modem to only support a subset of
speeds.  For example, the slowest speed only (6Mbit):

[eo at AE7SJ/Monroe-Paine] /interface wireless> set 0 supported-rates-a/g=
12Mbps  18Mbps  24Mbps  36Mbps  48Mbps  54Mbps  6Mbps  9Mbps

I don't think upgrading or downgrading firmware has anything to do with
RSSI readings as they're read directly from the Atheros chip and not
computed in firmware.

The real test of the health of your connection would be if it
consistently supports the same ballpark speed range (bits/sec actually
moved) or if it is indeed dropping due to this 8dB RSSI delta you're
seeing.  If the modem finds itself having too many communication errors
because it chose a modulation that is too fast, it'll lower its
negotiated speed.

--Bart