[HamWAN PSDR] The 3rd time is not charmed [was: 8dB drop/rise!]

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 11:26:16 PDT 2014

On Mon, Jul 21, 2014 at 10:28 AM, Dean Gibson AE7Q
<hamwan.stuff at ae7q.com> wrote:
> This time, however, "presto!" (the results below) does not quite apply.  The
> 5SHPn shows a power-on LED, and when connected to a switch, shows an
> electrical network LED.  However, the 5SHPn is inaccessible via Ethernet
> (using Winbox to access via both by last IP address, and by MAC address).
> PINGs fail;  there is no corresponding entry in the ARP table.  I can hold
> in the reset button while power-cycling the 5SHPn, and I get the flashing
> power LED indicating a "reset configuration" is happening, but to no avail:
> Winbox is unable to connect to the 5SHPn.

Here's some information about restoring a RouterBoard with NetInstall:
http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall

> This is the third time I've had this 8dB drop, and the second time I've had
> to go to the roof to reset the radio.  So, I've removed the antenna from the
> roof.  So, unless someone has a bright idea, the 5SHPn and the 31dBi dish
> antenna are available for $120 total.  I'd like to sell them as a unit,
> because I've got a really nice (but easily removable) taped seal of the
> antenna/radio connection.  If you can't get the radio to work, you're only
> out $20.

This is a great deal for anyone who needs a HamWAN client.
Resurrecting the modem is probably a 10 minutes job, and these
Poynting antennas are sold out everywhere.

Tom KD7LXL