[HamWAN PSDR] Internet Maintenance Notification

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Mon Jun 16 22:38:33 PDT 2014

Hi Jann,

Our network is happy to receive your packets to 44.24.240.0/20 direct
via internet, or IPIP encapsulated via 44.24.221.1. This is a
published AMPR gateway (at least, it was listed in the encap a few
hours ago when I last checked).

We're not asking everyone to use BGP. In fact, we support packets from
public/BGP networks and IPIP encapsulated packets alike.

There is no spec that says gateways must be outside of 44.0.0.0/8. We
picked 44.24.221.1 as a gateway because it fit the needs of our
network only to discover later that it doesn't work with all AMPR
configurations. There is no technical reason for this limitation; it
merely comes down to configuration. I'd like to see the bugs worked
out of the configuration so that what we publish to AMPR is honored.
Our configuration conforms to the AMPR IPIP mesh design and works well
with many existing AMPR networks.

I don't know specifically why we can't communicate with your network.
If you have manually installed a route to 44.24.240.0/20, that may be
the problem. The route as defined in the AMPR encap file should work
just fine, or if you like, just send packets out the default gateway
and we will receive them via internet routing.

Tom KD7LXL