[HamWAN PSDR] Switching to the 10MHz frequency plan

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Jun 25 11:27:21 PDT 2014

Hi,

Can I hear any objections to switching to the 10MHz frequency plan? We'd
be retaining the 5MHz bandwidths for now to keep the power spectral
density high, it would just be moving the center frequencies onto the
10MHz plan.

This switch would let us keep those center frequencies through 2 upgrade
cycles sometime in the future:

1) Expansion from 5MHz to 10MHz channels
2) Expansion from 10MHz SISO to 10MHz MIMO

Presently our speeds are limited to 10Mbit/sector.  Upgrade phase 1
would bring us to 20Mbit/sector without any additional hardware costs.
Upgrade phase 2 would bring us to 40Mbit/sector with a hardware
replacement of sector antennas and sector modems.  Hardware in phases 0
(present), 1 and 2 can happily co-exist within the same region if we
take this change.  If we stick on the 5MHz plan, any 10MHz hardware will
interfere.

The 20MHz plan collides with other radios present at some of our sites,
so expansion to 20MHz will be difficult, if it ever happens at all.  The
10MHz plan should be good for the next few years until we find some
better solutions should the need for speed be there.

Portland is thinking of bringing up a compatible system so that users
can roam up and down the coast without re-programming and they've asked
for confirmation on the frequencies.  The other benefit of coordination
onto the same channel plan is the border between the Washington and
Oregon systems will not be full of interference.  Users could roam
between the systems seamlessly.

If there are any objections to switching to the 10MHz plan, please speak up.