[HamWAN PSDR] KU7M testing results - Newcastle Golf Course

Kenny Richards richark at gmail.com
Fri Mar 7 13:00:30 PST 2014

Since the weather decided to not suck this morning, I did a quick 'site
survey' from the Newcastle Golf Course parking lot. (N 47.53602, W
122.14272 @ 919 feet)

I have attempted to get connected from my house several times, but haven't
had any success. Before going back up on the tower, I wanted to try
connecting from what I expected to be a REALLY good location.  I'm only
about a mile as the crow flies the Newcastle Golf course, so it is my go to
place for this kind of thing.(I'm about 500 feet lower though) From the
edge of the golf course parking lot you can see all of downtown, right over
the top of Mercer Island. (See attached picture)

So I had expected to connect to the PtP link at Capital Park without any
problems, since I can SEE the damn building from up there. But nope, still
no luck. I was able to see two other sites and associate with them. I knew
there was a node going up on Haystack, but I was surprised how easy it was
to connect to it.  What I really don't get is how I was seeing AE7SJ's home
link. Isn't it pointed at DEM?  (Or is AE7SJ something else?)

I also discovered something else that confuses me. I saw thayward@ use the
LED signal indicators on the radio a couple weeks ago. But this afternoon,
I never got even one bar. Do you have to enable them before they work?
(I'll have to dig into the docs on this one)  I would assume at least one
bar would light up with these signal strengths, right?

So my next step is taking a trip downtown with the portable setup and see
if I can find a spot semi-close to Capital Park and try to connect. My gut
is telling me that something is fundamentally wrong with the PtP link or
how I have things setup on my end. The golf course isn't 'exactly' in
between downtown and the Cougar Mnt site, but it is really close. So if
this link is going to work as it was intended, I should have been able to
connect from up there.

I also attached the config dump from the radio.

Thoughts?

Kenny

Output from Scan...
Flags: A - active, P - privacy, R - routeros-network, N - nstreme, T -
tdma, W - wds, B - bridge
ADDRESS           SSID                  BAND           CHANNEL-WIDTH FREQ
SIG   NF   SNR RADIO-NAME
A RT   D4:CA:6D:62:D7:ED HamWAN       5ghz-n 5mhz          5890
-88  -117  29 Haystack-S3/AE7SJ
APRT   00:0C:42:E0:4F:AC HamWAN       5ghz-n 10mhz         5475
-87  -117  30 AE7SJ

[image: Inline image 1]

[image: Inline image 3]