[HamWAN PSDR] Questions

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at k7nvh.com
Tue Mar 11 15:55:19 PDT 2014

Hello Dean,

HamWAN operates entirely on a shared admin model. We have a few trusted
people who we rely on to manage the infrastructure of the network.

This *does* include every client modem, as if the infrastructure changes
in the future (It will, I guarantee it) the admins can access the client
modems and re-configure to match the changes. This also applies when
talking about SSH ports, in that if every modem in the network is using an
odd SSH port, it simply becomes unmanageable.

We do recommend if it is your preference to add a firewall rule to limit
SSH to the 44.0.0.0/8 subnet, which will effectively protect against
scanners. (We also run a (reactive) script on our edge routers that blocks
IPs that make scanning attempts against devices on the network.)

Thanks,
Nigel
K7NVH