[HamWAN PSDR] Questions

Tom Hayward esarfl at gmail.com
Thu Mar 13 16:40:31 PDT 2014

On Thu, Mar 13, 2014 at 4:31 PM, Dean Gibson AE7Q <hamwan at ae7q.net> wrote:
> Anyway, through a second-story window (open):
>
> [admin at AE7Q-Paine] > /interface wireless scan 0
>        ADDRESS           SSID        BAND   CHA.. FREQ SIG   NF SNR
> RADIO-NAME
> A RT   D4:CA:6D:7A:B8:07 HamWAN      5ghz-n 5mhz  5905 -89 -118  29 Paine-S2

That's impressive for simply aiming out a window! Put some effort into
aiming and you should be able to get a good signal.

> I think the antenna needs to go higher ... (grin).  Nevertheless, the
> "traceroute 8.8.8.8" and "ping google.com" worked, as did an inbound ping.
> What an "icky" OS, but it works.
>
> Is the antenna pattern more sensitive (narrow) in the vertical axis?  That's
> what I would guess from the antenna shape, but antennae are strange and
> mysterious creatures ...

I don't have a good feel for which axis is narrower, but they
certainly both need some attention. Find peak signal strength by
varying azimuth, then do the same for elevation. Make sure you're not
on a side lobe. That'll be the strong signal just left and right of
the strongest signal. You may also find the various locations on the
roof are better than others. Survey a few before mounting permanently.

Tom KD7LXL