[HamWAN PSDR] Reconfiguring w/ firewall ...

Cory (NQ1E) cory at nq1e.hm
Sun Mar 16 10:05:43 PDT 2014

The current plan is to block all unsolicited incoming traffic from the
internet on the edge routers before it gets to the RF portions of the
network.  However, we don't want to do that until we have automation in
place to maintain those rules and until we have a self-service way for you
to poke holes in that configuration should you want to allow incoming
traffic from the world to one of your IP addresses.  If you want to block
traffic from all sources (including other hams), then adding firewall rules
to your own device is the correct way to accomplish that.

The rules are well established for auto-patches that connect voice
repeaters to the PSTN.  Even incoming telephone calls are allowed as long
as they are "expected" by the ham.  Because the parallels between these
systems are fairly clear, the plan above puts us in the best position to
make sure our users are able to maintain their part 97 compliance.