[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: $2k budget for Haystack site hardware

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat May 3 11:43:25 PDT 2014

Hello,

I'd like to propose we allow spending of up to $2k to cover the costs of
installing a photovoltaic (solar) power system @ Haystack. The site
owner has allowed us to host a site up there as long as it doesn't
impact their power budget.  The site is not wired to any utility power,
and transporting propane to it is expensive.  This is a 1-time cost, and
the hardware will remain property of the site owner.  In exchange
they'll be giving us new mounting points for 2 dishes and 2 sectors,
which will have a huge impact on coverage and extending the network.
Our recurring cost for the site will be $0/mo, which is an ideal
long-term arrangement.

Here is a list of the hardware required:

Costs converting 12VDC to 24VDC
Item 	Desc 	Link 	Quantity 	Cost 	Total
1 	24->12VDC MeanwellSD-50B-12
http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Mean-Well/SD-50B-12/?qs=jVZN1Oke4Bx6867ajq9o4g==
	1 	$51 	$51
2 	SolarWorld 275 Watt Mono Module
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/solarworld-270-watt-mono-module-1359
2 	$347 	$694
3 	30' Cable with Locking MC4 Plugs
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/30-cable-w-locking-mc4-plugs 	2 	$30 	$60
4 	Midnite AC Din Rail Mount Breaker - 15A & 20A (15A is needed)
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/outback-60a-ac-breaker 	2 	$19 	$38
5 	Fuse Holder and TWO 60A Class R Fuses
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/holder-for-100-amp-fuse 	1 	$28 	$28
6 	PV Module Ground Lug/screw/nut
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/pv-module-ground-lug-screw-nut 	2 	$4 	$8
7 	Battery Interconnect Cable - 24" - 4/0
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/products/batteries-accessories/battery-cables/24in-4-0-cable-with-lug-ends
	10 	$26 	$260
7a 	Battery Interconnect Cable - 24" - 2/0 	Local -> Pacific Power
Battery (+$5/end to crimp) 	10 	$10 	$100
8 	IOTA Battery Charger - 24V 40A - DLS27-40
http://www.backwoodssolar.com/iota-40a-24v-battery-charger 	1 	$395 	$395
9 	Tax (.086) Sultan Mailing Address
http://dor.wa.gov/docs/forms/excstx/locsalusetx/localslsuseflyer_quarterly.pdf
	1 	$78 	$78.24
10 	5% for cables/time/mounting etc
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-yJZJIOW6lys/Twvf9ylPUGI/AAAAAAAACdk/YEUZm-ZR-QU/s1600/strongman.jpg
	1 	$45 	$45.49
	Grand Total 				$1,757

In the $2k request, I'm also allowing ~$250 for shipping costs. Solar
panels are large.  Anything not spent will be returned to the HamWAN budget.

We already have all the other hardware required to deploy the site
in-stock.  Some of it is already deployed (Haystack-S3), and some is
sitting on-site (modems, 1 dish, other sector).

Our present balance is $1,291.04, so we'd be going into debt for this deal.

The other cost of this deal is recognizing the site owner's sponsorship
of HamWAN by including their logo in presentations, and offering some
man-hours for site maintenance.  The big project this summer (aside from
this solar system install and the full HamWAN site install) will be
helping with installing a grounding system there.

My vote on this deal is: YAY.