[HamWAN PSDR] Metal 5SHPn firmware 6.12 is current (addendum)

Dean Gibson AE7Q hamwan at ae7q.com
Sun May 4 01:44:06 PDT 2014

Well, this did not end well.

As you can see from Nigel's SNMP data for my site, right after I
installed firmware v6.12 at 9pm, my wireless signal strength dropped by
about 10dB.  In other respects, everything seems to work, and I at first
I thought perhaps it was the rain.  However, we've had rain on and off
all day, and as you can see from Nigel's site, the signal strength was
fairly uniform until the very sudden drop at 9pm.

Reboots did not solve the problem, so I reverted to v6.10 using the
"downgrade" command line option.  That did not improve the signal
strength, so I upgraded back to v6.12.  I checked all the configuration
settings, and everything looked normal.  Data transfer through the radio
worked fine.

So, I decided to reset the configuration (using the command line) to
make sure nothing had changed.  I'd done that a couple times a month
ago, with no ill effects.

However, this time it appears to have "bricked" the radio.

It draws about 160ma (about the value from a week ago, when I first
measured it).  There is no light on the side of the unit, and the
Ethernet port is dead.

I'm going to bed.  Sunday morning I will go out onto the roof and
attempt to reset the unit via the pinhole.

I hope this is not indicative of MikroTik quality.  I'm glad the thing
is not up on a tower ...