[HamWAN PSDR] Metal 5SHPn firmware 6.12 is current (addendum)

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sun May 4 10:15:25 PDT 2014

There's some confusion here, so allow me to clear it up.

What Mike's talking about is a utility called Netinstall
(http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Manual:Netinstall) that allows recovery
of truly crashed devices.  "Truly crashed" means that RouterOS is not
booting.  It doesn't scan for devices, it just serves as a PXE server,
and it's up to the devices to request a PXE boot.  The code that
controls PXE booting is in a different part of flash than the RouterOS
itself, and does not depend on RouterOS.

Winbox can indeed use a layer 2 protocol (called mac-winbox), and it can
also use IP (layer 3).  Which protocol it uses depends on the address
(MAC vs IP) you tell it to connect to.  However, it doesn't provide the
PXE flashing capability.  If RouterOS is truly crashed, Winbox won't work.

Another layer 2 protocol is mac-telnet.  This is configured as a
separate service from mac-winbox on RouterOS.  Recently we had a case
where mac-telnet was inaccessible (was not configured to listen on any
interfaces) but mac-winbox was set to its default of listening on all
interfaces.  We were able to regain control of the router by using the
alternative layer 2 protocol.

In Dean's case, we don't know what he means by "dead".  It could be that
the ethernet link is up and IP just stopped working.  He can try the 2
MAC protocols.  If those fail, he can try the Netinstall recovery.

--Bart