[HamWAN PSDR] 1.2GHz to Paine [was: 44.x.x.x HamWAN network at Paine]

Bob ke7jl at comcast.net
Sat May 24 14:36:16 PDT 2014

Dean,

Here are some observations and conclusion that I have come up with in adding
the ID-1 to the Kirkland Emergency Communications Team's tool box.  I have
done a number of tests of the ID-1 from various locations in Kirkland in
both the Digital Data (DD) mode and the Digital Voice (DV) mode.  I tested
simplex paths (ID-1 to ID-1) and paths to the Lake Washington Ham Club
(LWHC) DSTAR DV repeater and DD gateway nodes in Bellevue.

1.      There are a few locations in Kirkland that have direct visual line
of site to LWHC Gateway in Belleview.  From those locations, pings are
consistently returned in 100 to 200ms with an occasional loss.

2.      We have two location (Stations 22 and 25) are not visual but
according to Radio Mobile modeling skim the terrain.  At these sights no
ping are returned.

3.      At my home QTH (Lat: 47.694 Lon: -122.2161) I do not have a visual
of the LWHC Gateway, but I get occasional pings returned.

4.      John Hays loan me a 1.23 GHz directional antenna. With the
directional antenna I detected two paths to the gateway.  One was off a
condo about 180 degrees from the gateway about a mile away; the other was
off the NOAA building four miles awat at Sand Point about 15 degrees
clockwise from the gateway.  This indicates the presents of multi-paths that
could be interfering with the data even with good signal strength.

5.      I will also confirm the DV mode is more robust than the DD mode, but
it too is affect by multi-path.

About 2 weeks ago I brought the ID-1 on line to serve as an alternate path
to the Winlink CMS.

Bob - KE7JL