[HamWAN PSDR] [Netops] Proposed Revision to Spectrum Allocation Standards

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Dec 25 10:06:32 PST 2015

When you propose elimination of the 5MHz and 20MHz channel widths, are
you referring to their central frequency spacings (staggering) or to the
bandwidths themselves?  There is a 3dB gain of 5MHz bandwidth over
10MHz, which really helps some of our weaker clients:

[eo at Baldi-S1] /interface wireless> registration-table print
  # INTERFACE                              RADIO-NAME MAC-ADDRESS
AP  SIGNAL-STRENGTH TX-RATE UPTIME
  0 wlan1-gateway                          WE7X/Baldi D4:CA:6D:7A:B8:81
no  -83dBm          4.8M... 19h38m30s

[eo at CapitolPark-S2] > /interface wireless registration-table print
  # INTERFACE                              RADIO-NAME MAC-ADDRESS
AP  SIGNAL-STRENGTH TX-RATE UPTIME
  0 wlan1                                  KU7M/Newcastl...
D4:CA:6D:9D:5C:07 no  -86dBm          3.2M... 9h21m7s

[eo at SnoDEM-S2] > /interface wireless registration-table print
  # INTERFACE                              RADIO-NAME MAC-ADDRESS
AP  SIGNAL-STRENGTH TX-RATE UPTIME
  0 wlan1                                  AE7Q/MillCree...
D4:CA:6D:54:B4:F5 no  -87dBm          2.2Mbps 18h25m26s

I can't foresee us taking 3dB away from these folks.  So as far as the
bandwidth is concerned, I think 5MHz bandwidth is here to stay because:

     1) it's the highest power spectral density we can achieve with the
hardware, and
     2) we don't have throughput saturation on our sectors,
     3) which means we also use 5MHz to increase reliability (reduce
retransmits) of the service.

Now, about the interference between 5MHz and 10MHz plans.  The PSDR
group here recognized this would be an issue if we wanted to run some
sectors @ 10MHz bandwidth, so we migrated the network onto a 5MHz
bandwidth / 10MHz staggering plan.  This gives us the ability to run an
arbitrary mix of 5MHz and 10MHz bandwidths without any
self-interference, since the radiation angle for each sector is the same
in both bandwidths.  This provides an easy next-gen upgrade path without
further spectral changes.  This upgrade would only take place once we
hit saturation on a given sector and we'd have to weigh the impact to
the marginal users vs. benefits to the high speed users.

To support this new 5MHz bandwidth / 10MHz stagger combination we simply
pushed an update to all the client modems with an additional channel
plan, and updated our client setup docs to include the new channel
plan.  This doesn't mean we had to retire the original 5MHz plan,
though.  That can stay programmed into client modems for any areas that
wish to use it.  It's still the tightest packing of the channels for
areas that have very limited access to Part 15 frequencies and therefore
need to use the rest of the Part 97 5.9GHz segment to run their PtPs.

Any new useful channel plans can simply be added to the official list
(BTW: we need to publish an official list) without the need to kill
existing channel plans.  For the sake of reducing search time in the
clients, we can prune the official list down to a "known active" list.
Maybe still uploading all the channels, but in a disabled state for the
unused ones.  This optimization would reduce client modem compatibility
when new networks come up, so there's pros and cons here.  I'm fine with
recommending the widest list by default, and if the user so chooses,
they can self-optimize their local channel list.

Now, given this client flexibility, the new b-channels you propose look
like a fine idea, and I can appreciate your argument with very nearby
sites not having perfect directional shielding.  We'd likely have the
exact same situation if our Council House site came on the air, since it
would be very close to the Capitol Park site.  Capitol Park also uses
gen 1 antennas, so their directional shielding is poor.

There will be added complexity if 2+ HamWAN networks using different
channelization start to share a border or a region.  In those cases,
they'd have to work together to only use compatible channels in the
overlapping regions.  I don't even wanna touch on what'd be compatible
among all the possible channel plans.  Sounds like a headache.  The
clients should remain unaffected in such cases though, provided they
have the full channel list uploaded.

The use of omni channels is a very complicated issue.  Can you tell me
more about how you're using them today without causing
self-interference?  I'm facing the same design challenge on the 900MHz
front.

The use of MIMO is a fully compatible upgrade, so there's no problems
there.  I don't think this has any impact on the standards other than
maybe updating the "recommended hardware" section.

--Bart