[HamWAN PSDR] Kirkand / Rose Hill Coverage

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Wed May 6 09:44:34 PDT 2015

On Wed, May 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM, Don Sayler <don.sayler at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, the water tower obscures the horizon to the east, but west is clear.
> And we probably have 70-80 feet available on the tower.

That's no good. Here's the link prediction from my last message plotted in
Google Earth. Looks like the water tower blocks the shot to Haystack. Is
that tower location correct?

I've attached the .kml so you can see it in 3d.

Snohomish County DEM (north) and Capitol Park (southwest) are also options.
They're predicted at about -70 dBm.

By the way, the coverage map is digital (coverage or no coverage). A red
pixel indicates coverage better than -70 dBm. Anything less than that we
don't plot. Any shading you're seeing is just how it's displayed--it's not
indicating a different signal level. A signal level of -70 dBm will give
you "full speed" on the network. The modem can maintain a connection down
to about -88 dBm, but it won't be as fast. The map is conservative in that
nothing between -70 and -88 dBm is plotted. Also keep in mind that the map
doesn't know what trees or water towers exist around your property. (It
does some primitive land cover adjustments, but I've found binoculars or
Google Earth to be more accurate.)
​
Tom