[HamWAN PSDR] Damage report, Mr.Sulu

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Wed Nov 18 11:31:29 PST 2015

Thanks to Scott's efforts we have a photo of the SnoDEM side of the
ETiger-SnoDEM link:

SnoDEM->ETiger

It looks in good shape, and is roughly aimed at the right direction.  We
also know the top gust @ SnoDEM was 60mph, which is well within the
125mph rating of the gear.  We don't have any data yet on ETiger
physical condition, but we do have a very strange signal report:

ETiger-SnoDEM

It has risen from the dead, all by itself!??  Sure wish we had 24/7
night vision video of just what went down @ ETiger.  It can't be as
boring as water drying out of connectors, since that would take a long
time and not exhibit a sharp spike like that @ 1AM.  Perhaps a wind gust
blew the dish back into position?  But that wouldn't account for the
very slow rise in signal after the sharp spike.  So confused.  Theories
welcome.

On the QueenAnne-Haystack front, I made a config change to the link last
night to increase power spectral density by reducing the link's
bandwidth to 5MHz.  Whatever has affected that link doesn't seem to be
changing, and the increased PSD is saving the day:

QA-Haystack

A far cry from the -60dBm we normally run @ 40MHz, but it's better than
a lost link!  Using the PTZ cam, this is the shot I can get of the dish
hardware on the Haystack side:

There is a lot of icing on the cam dome (not water), so it's likely the
dish is iced slightly too.  It doesn't look like any trees fell on it.
I tried to see if trees fell in its path, but the dome is too iced up in
that direction to tell.  Still waiting to hear about damage on the Queen
Anne side.

--Bart