[HamWAN PSDR] Quarterly Board Call

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Mon Sep 28 19:22:34 PDT 2015

Thanks to all that joined the call this evening.

Hopefully not missing anybody, we had:
Nigel
Cory
Ryan
Rob
Bart
Allen

We asked Bart to do a quick summary of the work going on to bring Gold online. He and some volunteers as well as the site folks are going up soon to get a dish put up and prove out the connectivity. There’s a decent chance for future expansion to sectors there and further coverage. We’ve already got the gear on hand for this, so it’s an easy thing to get done.

Ryan spoke about some of the work that has been going on to automate our deployment processes, both of Linux boxes as well as the MikroTik radios that form the network. We’re using Ansible and have made a lot of headway in getting things from fresh to up and running with a simple command. The configs and playbooks are on our github at https://github.com/HamWAN/infrastructure-configs <https://github.com/HamWAN/infrastructure-configs>

Cory provided an update on the finances, we’ve got a balance of about $1500 summing donations and matching dollars from Microsoft. Please be sure if you’re donating to the org that you check with your employer to see if they have a matching program. We are a registered non-profit.

The group did a fair bit of discussion about ways we can focus our efforts to bring new users and organizations to the network, as well as ongoing projects in that regard. Rob provided some very useful updates regarding the work he’s been doing to bring HamWAN adoption to local Hospitals and emergency management folks. We’ve got some potential for a site at Cultus and we have some very basic infrastructure at Providence Everett, but it’s lacking some usability as our SnoDEM (Paine) site is hurting on uplinks presently. The plan is to replace a modem and re-aim a dish at SnoDEM towards East Tiger which should help improve the connectivity situation quite a bit.

We also scheduled the next quarterly call for Monday, 12/28, 6PM Pacific time. I’ll send out an email when we’re coming up on that for a reminder.

Thanks all for attending!
Nigel