[HamWAN PSDR] Quarterly Board Call

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Sun Apr 3 22:01:17 PDT 2016

Ok.  I can't say that I'm confused about any of the terms.  I've dealt with them enough times and I thought I would offer some help where I could.  I agree that it's important that the expenses are reviewed and approved by the board.  What I tried to point out was what I believed was a simple omission in the Constitution.  If you look through it, the word "budget" does not appear at all - not even once.  Neither is there any spelled mechanism that grants the board or any officer position the fiduciary authority to make ANY financial commitments other than the "$100" rule.   In fact, because the "$100 rule" IS spelled out, it is the ONLY finance-related piece that is.  Even if you were inclined to argue in court that budgetary approval is somehow implied, your written rule is NOT implied, and without a piece to remedy the two concepts, the written one wins in court.

Budgets and decision making are basic pieces that are part of almost every set of bylaws for non-profit or commercial entities alike, and it's easily remedied.   Forget the knee-jerk reaction that I'm poking the hornet's nest again and find someone you can believe that is in the business and ask them.  If you want an attorney's point of view I've worked with a couple in other organizations on these topics.  All I'm asking is to get it right guys - I'm on the same damn side.

Jesus.