[HamWAN PSDR] HamWAN PSDR Internet performance

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Apr 5 09:35:00 PDT 2016

Thanks for the excellent data.  If you'd like to have more fun, I'd also
like to point out that all of our routers should be running
bandwidth-server instances.  This means you can make actual RF
throughput measures on a per-hop basis.  Try it to your first hop:

[eo at WA6PXX-MercerIs] /tool bandwidth-server> /tool traceroute 8.8.8.8
  # ADDRESS                          LOSS SENT    LAST AVG    BEST
WORST STD-DEV STATUS
  1 44.24.240.33                       0%    1   7.6ms 7.6     7.6
7.6       0
  2 44.24.240.6                        0%    1   3.6ms 3.6     3.6
3.6       0
  3 44.24.240.66                       0%    1  24.2ms 24.2    24.2
24.2       0
  4 44.24.241.113                      0%    1  56.8ms 56.8    56.8
56.8       0
  5                                    0%    1     0ms

[eo at WA6PXX-MercerIs] /tool bandwidth-server> /tool bandwidth-test
direction=receive 44.24.240.33
                 status: running
               duration: 12s
             rx-current: 7.1Mbps
   rx-10-second-average: 7.0Mbps
       rx-total-average: 6.9Mbps
           lost-packets: 143
            random-data: no
              direction: receive
                rx-size: 1500

and so on...  By the third hop, you may begin to notice the problems:

[eo at WA6PXX-MercerIs] /tool bandwidth-server> /tool bandwidth-test
direction=receive 44.24.240.66
                 status: running
               duration: 7s
             rx-current: 204.0kbps
   rx-10-second-average: 921.8kbps
       rx-total-average: 921.8kbps
           lost-packets: 34
            random-data: no
              direction: receive
                rx-size: 1500

Of course your throughput will be limited by existing network load. You
can monitor that using our public traffic graphs:

http://monitoring.hamwan.net/cacti/

The login / password is hamwan / hamwan.  (I though I had gotten rid of
it, but it persists.)  These only update once every 5 minutes, so
they're not as handy as they could be for manual testing.  In most cases
though, the network is idle enough that you won't need them, and
bandwidth-test results will be highly indicative of link speed. Be sure
to give the links at least 30 seconds to come up to speed. They default
to sitting at a lower speed when they're not being asked to move lots of
data, and then they train up on higher speeds as required.  This is to
maximize their reliability when only low data rates are required.

Oh, and you will not be able to do a bandwidth-test to the edge
routers.  These have firewall rules that prevent bandwidth-testing. We
should really fix that at some point.

Speaking of fixing, I've started writing some software last night to
help us optimize the QA-CP and QA-Westin links.  Both of these sometimes
affect your connection.  As Tom mentioned, QA-CP is affected by a poor
path to the side of a dish, but QA-Westin is affected by Amazon
constructing a new building right in the signal path.  You can view the
path obstacle here:

http://cam.westin.hamwan.net/

If we can't get either of these links to perform acceptably, we can
manually give them a lower priority on the network.  The QA-CP link
might be helped a lot just by installing a higher gain modem @ QA and/or
rotating/upgrading the dish @ CP.  The QA-Westin problem is a little
harder.  So far we've reduced the bandwidth of QA-Westin to help it out,
and you can see the signal increase in the associated graph:

http://monitoring.hamwan.net/cacti/graph.php?action=view&local_graph_id=439&rra_id=all

But it doesn't seem to have helped speeds at all, so now we need to do
some interference-avoidance work.  I hope to have that software finished
this week.

The last problem we should address here is the apparent route flapping
inside the network.  We don't have any good tools in place to monitor
that, and it looks to be affecting your path.  While this shouldn't
result in outages for you, it does indicate marginal network stability,
so it's a problem we need to look into.  I do have designs to monitor
this and mitigate it, but they're slightly longer-term.

--Bart