[HamWAN PSDR] Future HamWan Site

Ryan Elliott Turner ryan.e.t at gmail.com
Mon Aug 29 08:53:41 PDT 2016

Hi Michael,

$20,000 is a lot of money. Here in Memphis, we've deployed 3 traditional
sectorized hamwan sites, and we have 3 more points of presence with omnis
and backhaul equipment. I think with that we've still spent less than half
your budget. Our community involvement waxes and wanes, but we're where we
are today comfortably after two years of effort. Even if we were to throw
more money at the problem, I don't know that we would've accomplished our
network rollout much faster (unless we had enough to hire help). It takes
significant effort, especially for those who aren't familiar with the
technology (WISP). It will be very important to have a core local group
with this experience participating in order for your project to succeed.

I don't know what your concerns are regarding Mi6Wan, but I believe Fred
and his group would be an excellent fit to help with this. We're always
excited to see new HamWANs growing and happy to help them flourish. In
terms of formal support, we're all volunteers, and there is no SLA. We're
most active in IRC. It'd be appropriate for you to direct less structured
questions on there (filling in gaps of our wiki, asking for explanations on
certain design decisions, etc). We're happy to help you troubleshoot
issues, but do expect to be participating along the entire way. To perform
and be secure, you'll need volunteers to administer your network (and you
don't want them to be entirely remote).

--
Ryan Turner, K0RET
+1.901.300.0039