[HamWAN PSDR] Service Impact Notice

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Fri Mar 11 00:56:22 PST 2016

Hmm that's not the whole story though.  If it were just the 1 router
failure (in reality a hypervisor failure), we'd be in a much better
position, but it's combined with 2 other modem failures.  We had the
ETiger->SnoDEM modem die over the winter, and it needs replacement.
That link has been down for a month or more now.  And most recently
we're having the Tukwila->Baldi modem lose connectivity frequently.
We've implemented an automatic mitigation for that, but it still
produces sporadic short downtime windows of a few minutes.  I'd just
like to move that modem to a NetMetal 5.  Our servers are also being
affected by instability in the Quagga routing software.  We need to
replace this with a more stable alternative, like BIRD.  Lastly, the
Baldi emergency uplink is only configured to go to Westin and Corvallis,
but not Tukwila.

We could have avoided DNS outages too, if the anycast groups were
populated with more of the available servers.  I believe lack of good
automation for server build-outs is causing the deployment lag here.

The network is designed to withstand failures, even multiple failures,
but we've got many broken things right now that need fixing.  After that
fixing, I would really love to see some folks get behind improving our
monitoring, deployment and diagnostic automation.  Networks like this
won't scale unless they're nearly completely automated and simple to
manage.  I would not mind at all if we even rolled back some features
until we can get them re-implemented in 100% automated ways.

As important as all this is, I still think the deep penetration project
takes precedence, so I can't drop that work in favor of this.  Aside
from helping out on the simple break-fix stuff, I mean.

--Bart