[HamWAN PSDR] VOTE: High quality PTZ camera

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Thu May 5 15:15:23 PDT 2016

Hello,

Several of us have been talking about putting high quality PTZ cameras
at our tower sites for people to enjoy.  Survey the surrounding country
side, get tactical awareness in emergencies, look for antenna damage
remotely, etc.  I'd personally love to have 1 good PTZ per tower.  I
think it would also be a very popular past time, and one of the killer
apps that HamWAN can deliver.  Good quality cams are expensive however.
Here are the requirements as I see them:

1) Outdoor rated
2) No exposed moving joints that can freeze (domed design)
3) Heater to melt ice
4) IP encoding, not analog
5) 1080p or better
6) 30x optical zoom or better
7) Power over Ethernet so we can have only 1 cable run
8) Support OSX + Windows (Linux optional)
9) RTSP streamable so we can re-broadcast the stream to many people at once

I found what I think is a decent cam that fits these requirements. It's
the Q-See QCN8035Z
<http://www.q-see.com/1080p-ip-ptz-camera-qcn8035z-1>. It costs about $670.

Any opinions on this?  I'm inclined to support such a vote.