[HamWAN PSDR] Evergreen Hospital / Monroe

Rob Salsgiver rob at nr3o.com
Fri May 6 20:29:10 PDT 2016

Strength and speed were not optimal, but mainly due to the location of the antenna.  Rather than hold it by hand and try to run the laptop at the same time, I mounted it to an existing piece of uni-strut that was supporting part of an existing HVAC assembly.  It was extremely coarse aim, and not easily “tweaked” with an angled clamp on square uni-strut.  The vertical was only about 4.5’ high, with the bottom 2’ obscured toward the front of the dish path by a beam assembly.  The lower part of the Poynting was almost LOS obscured by a roof beam assembly about 18” in front of the dish.  The upper part of the dish was literally touching the HVAC equipment.  In short, the antenna was shooting out of a recess between the roof and HVAC equipment.  Signals were measured between -65 and -75 on both Haystack S1 and S3.  Fine tuning was a joke because of trying to rotate the clamp around the square unistrut.  Still, speakeasy gave us a good 3-4mbit even under those conditions.  I expect we will be significantly better on the pole with the ability to tune and more open space / less Fresnel issues around the dish.  It is a 100% unencumbered shot to Haystack.  Youtube worked fine for 10-15 minutes <g>.

One other piece I discovered that may need a documentation update.  After loading the config off of the web page, I was able to hit google from the 5shpn, but not the laptop.   I was also able to hit the 5shpn from the laptop, but not go through to the ‘net.  Turned out I needed to activate NAT.  Not sure that’s in the directions.  Will look more later to see if I missed something.

Cheers,

Rob