[HamWAN PSDR] New website and toy

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Tue Sep 6 09:11:51 PDT 2016

On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 12:18 AM, Ed Morin <edmorin.jr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Nice job.
>
> It would be nice -- someday -- if the "red" coverage shading was actually
> changed to be color coded for which site is illuminating a given area.  When
> I see "red" somewhere, I don't know which site is supposedly covering it and
> where to aim the dish...
>
> Some areas are covered by more than one site in which case the colors would
> overlap, but that's definitely nice to know too...

Ed,

This is on the roadmap, but as far as I know, I'm our only javascript
developer and I've been busy with other projects this summer (new
website, Baldi camera, Gold, and Capitol Peak deploys, among other
things). If you are any good at javascript, you could take a stab at
it. The source data can all be gleaned by reading the current map.js
file and once you have the new map code working we can swap it in.

I've found that knowing which site *should* be strongest at a
particular location is not terribly relevant in the real world. For
example, the computer models show that Baldi, ETiger, and Gold should
all be reachable from my house. When I do a sweep with the dish, I see
beacon packets from ETiger and Gold. Nothing from Baldi. Oh well, what
matters here is reality, not what the model shows.

Tom