[HamWAN PSDR] Let's talk about identity

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat Apr 1 13:19:03 PDT 2017

No, not that kind of identity.  Digital identity.  Used to inform
networks and computers about who you are.  In my brief research on this,
Wikipedia has listed a few systems:

 1. SAML
 2. OAuth
 3. OpenID
 4. CAS

There are of course other systems, such as X509 certificates, or just
plain old trusted keys or fingerprints.  The question is, which of these
systems are appropriate for use on Part 97 airwaves?

The big P97 restriction we have is no use of secrecy or encryption.
Early on we realized this means any system which relies on shared
secrets (such as passwords) is not going to work well.  One system that
does work really well is public/private key based authentication.  SSH
key authentication and TLS client certificate authentication work really
well because of this. However, those systems are not without problems.
Both of them need to have the encryption option turned off, which
requires a custom ssh client and server for SSH, and is nearly
impossible to do with any modern web browser for TLS.  Other
applications that use TLS will also have the same challenge.

I'd like to identify some acceptable identity systems for web browsers
and web applications.  It would be great if they could also be used for
email clients (Thunderbird, Evolution, KMail, etc), and other
applications like file shares.

I haven't looked into security tokens at all yet, but those may work.
That is, to plug a token into USB or tap it via NFC (cell phone case),
and have yourself identified.

Is anyone aware of which systems may be compatible with Part 97 and work
in a user-friendly way?