[HamWAN PSDR] Antennas Mounted Indoors? hope?

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Mon Apr 24 08:15:12 PDT 2017

On Mon, Apr 24, 2017 at 12:38 AM, Grace B Thomson <gracebt at eskimo.com> wrote:
> Hello Again.
>
> Even though I can't see in that direction, I can hit the Gold Mountain
> 2m Repeater from inside my apartment with an at 1 watt and the signal
> from the repeater here is full quieting.  Should this give me any
> significant hope that I might have some luck with a path at 5+ Ghz?

In downtown areas we often see 5 GHz reflect off buildings which
allows for non-line-of-sight paths. There's no good software (or
building materials data) to predict this, so I can't tell you whether
it might work in your case or not. Reflections will always be a poorer
signal than direct. It works best with closer sites, so it's unlikely
to work with Gold due to the distance. Capitol Park or the upcoming
Beacon site might provide better reflections for you. To know how much
signal you'll get at your place, you're just going to have to test.
Don't get your hops up. I predict you won't get anything.

Tom