[HamWAN PSDR] Extending into EWA via the southern route

S. Aberle psdr-list at aberle.net
Tue Aug 1 08:00:00 PDT 2017

This is my first post to the group, so please go easy on me.

There has been a lot of email about using existing ham repeater sites
for extending HamWAN coverage into Eastern Washington.  What if a loop
could be created that would enable access by over a dozen EOCs, with
another half dozen within a half mile of being line-of-site?

Here is the potential loop of radio sites (in order):
• Capitol Peak	–  coverage of Olympia
• Davis Peak	–  coverage of Vancouver & St. Helens
• Red Mountain
• King Mountain
• Klickitat County EOC
• Simcoe Butte
• Rattlesnake Hills Lookout	–  coverage of Yakima
• Jump Off Joe	–  coverage of the Tri-Cities
• Cabbage Hill	–  coverage of Walla Walla and Pendleton
• Black Mountain
• Coalfire plant, Boardman
• Juniper Point	–  coverage of Goldendale
• Mt. Defiance	–  coverage of Hood River
• KOIN Tower	–  coverage of Portland and Beaverton
• Boistfort Peak	–  coverage of Centralia & Chehalis

The attached page shows lat/long/elev. data (as best I could determine
based on published location information and using caltopo to plot the
viewsheds).  It cross references the EOCs which could be served.

Although I haven't checked the line-of-site paths, it may also be
possible to link the Tri-Cities with Spokane.

Yes, I know this is ambitious, and there may be a myriad of obstacles to
overcome, including site access limitations and prohibitive costs, but
at least this offers a plausible vision.

73,
Steve, WA7PTM