[HamWAN PSDR] PoE Weather Station?

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Tue Aug 15 12:50:28 PDT 2017

Hello,

I'd like to get some suggestions for a rugged Power-over-Ethernet IP
weather station that would survive a winter on a tower.  I'd primarily
like to collect wind speed + direction data.

The link between CapitolPeak and BawFaw continues to have 16dB swings
<https://monitoring.hamwan.net/cacti/graph.php?action=view&local_graph_id=881&rra_id=all>,
and we're running out of ideas to explain it.  We've verified it's a
line-of-sight clear shot (no trees swaying into the path), so the
current theory is that perhaps steady wind levels are pushing both
dishes just slightly off-aim.

If you're confused by the graph: the large jump between the 12th and
13th is when we moved the link from a sector to a dish.  There seems to
be less signal variance with the dish-to-dish link, but still enough
that it's not normal.  At least we have fade margin now.

Thanks,