[HamWAN PSDR] Node question

Carl carl at n7kuw.com
Sun Aug 27 14:48:07 PDT 2017

Here is one approach to see if you have even a little chance of connecting. Use Google Earth. First plot the location of Capitol Peak. The coordinates are 46.9730333, -123.1382166.  Second, plot the coordinates of your location. Put a placemark at both locations.  Now using the ruler tool draw a straight line between the two locations and save it.  Then right click on that line and select elevation profile to see if you have line of sight.

See attached screen captures (don't know if attachments will go through, I'll try).  In the third attachment, you see the elevation profile for the path I was considering. It won't work because there is a much higher peak in between Capitol Peak and the location I was interested in (Inspiration Point on the side of Mount Rainer).  The arrow shows where that peak is along the path, and the elevation profile shows that isn't the only obstruction, there are a few other peaks also in the way.

Another elevation profile attached is from my house in NW Seattle to Gold Mtn. On that you can see that there is clearly a good path, no obstructions along the way. I just have to find a location on my lot that doesn't have trees blocking the view (which is its own challenge).

Carl, N7KUW