[HamWAN PSDR] Haystack Site Outage

Nigel Vander Houwen nigel at nigelvh.com
Sat Mar 4 23:41:09 PST 2017

Hello All,

Our site at Haystack has been having some trouble with the solar charging setup, and has not been able to get much energy with the limited solar that remains working onsite, as such, the site owner has been intermittently running the generator to keep the batteries charged. Unfortunately, as of Friday the generator is out of fuel.

Bart, Bruce, and one or two others (I didn’t catch the names), made a heroic effort today to get onsite with snowmobiles and a snow cat to refuel the tanks, and repair the solar charging problems, but were stymied by snow conditions, and were not able to reach the site today.

Considering the limited solar functioning, and the clear weather today, we had a pretty good day, but the forecast doesn’t look promising for keeping that up.

I’ve shut down our sectors at Haystack to try and conserve some power, so if you normally connect to Haystack, or were looking to try, please be aware that for the moment, the Haystack sectors are offline.

We’ll let you know when we’re able to get the sectors back online. Hopefully soon we’ll be able to get more fuel up there, and the extra solar capacity repaired.

Thanks again for the efforts of the volunteers that tried to reach the site today. It was a real slog, and the efforts are appreciated.

Nigel