[HamWAN PSDR] HamWan in Thurston County

Lee Chambers ki7ss1 at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 05:11:08 PDT 2017

Thanks, Bart,

The Olympia Amateur Radio Society (OARS) repeater system is supported by the Thurston County Department of Emergency Management, who pays our site rental costs for our three repeaters. The 2meter repeater is on the east side water tank, and our 220/440 repeaters are on Crawford mountain. That doesn't mean we can add more equipment, tho--but, maybe.

Recently we've been discussing how communications would work in a major incident, a Cascadia earthquake for example,or some similar sized event. The volume of traffic needing to be moved from temporary shelters at schools and churches or like structures will probably swamp our repeaters quickly. It would be of great value to design a HamWan that could be reached via radio from a dozen or so sites. The ECC, at the south end of the Oly airport, would need to be reached, of course, as it's the addressee. And to keep interest and proficiency up day to day coverage of the downtown areas--Oly, Lacey, Tumwater, maybe Yelm, at a minimum--ideally the populated areas of the county--would be desirable.

The Boy Scout headquarters is on the north side of Tumwater hill and had, in some other life, a radio system, and the antenna mount remains. We could put a gateway there. There are other towers and high points we can leverage.

A real question we wonder about is what a node costs and how do we test for coverage. OARS could be approached to pay for test equipment and WAN equipment and would likely become an enthusiastic player/user/provider if we could articulate a reasonable path to a Thurston County HamWan that can serve both the members and the emergency response effort.
I've cc'ed Bruce wa7bam as he is club President. I'd bet a club presentation defining next steps would be appropriate--I know he can make time on his agenda!  We meet the third Wednesdays of each month btw.

Thanks for your enthusiasm!  A functioning WAN in a disaster makes all sorts of commo possibilities practical. I'm up for the project. What do we do next?
Lee
Ki7ss

Lee