[HamWAN PSDR] HamWan - Vashon Node?

Daniel Luechtefeld daniel.luechtefeld at gmail.com
Mon Mar 27 22:41:47 PDT 2017

I stand corrected about the tower height. Vashon Island Fire & Rescue
(VIFR) holds a license for a 2 meter system that operates from the top of
the tower (KON933). That license states that the tower is 30 meters tall.
When it was built in the 90's, Cingular (now AT&T) concurrently stationed a
1900 MHz cell site at the top of the tower.

VIFR owns the tower; they deliberately built it with a revenue stream in
mind. There is plenty of space on the mast. Other tenants have come and
gone (Centurlink, Clearwire).

VIFR maintains a close relationship with Vashon Auxiliary Communications
Services (VACS). Were solid EMCOMM use cases identified, it would be VACS
that would deploy and manage a HamWAN node.

Speaking personally, it's the lack of detailed, concrete use cases that are
discouraging me from spending my own time and money for a pilot. We could
build it, but what would we use it for?

73, Daniel K7DGL
Vashon ACS

--

"Mission is a profound sense of purpose; an anchor in a truth outside
oneself which gives substance to the resolve not to quit."  --- Viktor