[HamWAN PSDR] Many reboots of the Westin router this evening

Bart Kus me at bartk.us
Sat May 6 00:29:26 PDT 2017

Hello,

There were many reboots of the Westin edge router this evening. This was
to track down what is believed to be a software bug recently introduced
into the router's OS that breaks OPP users. Apologies if you were
affected, but this was the most viable way to track things down.  Here's
the bug report I was able to write up based on the analysis:

https://forum.mikrotik.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=118202#p596927

As we wait for MikroTik to fix the problem, we're stuck on an older release.

The original goal of the upgrade was so much more interesting than
finding bugs -- it was to enable AES-NI hardware encryption acceleration
for our inter-datacenter IPsec tunnels so that we can go beyond
500Mbit/s on those links.  That'll have to wait now, and somehow we'll
have to get by with 500Mbit speeds.