[HamWAN PSDR] HUB mobile hamwan with WiFi hotspot working

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Sun Oct 15 10:18:07 PDT 2017

Great work! I've used a TL-MR3020 myself. It's a nice tool to have in the
bag. I've done "HamWAN portable" with essentially this same kit in a
backpack while hanging off a tower--the wifi makes it possible to use a
cellphone to check signal strengths while aiming a dish.

For those who don't have one already, I'd recommend looking at the mAP
https://www.balticnetworks.com/mikrotik-map-lite-2-4ghz-magnetic-dual-chain-indoor-ap.html.
It doesn't handle cellular modems* like the TL-MR3020, but it is tiny, can
run directly off 12V (PoE injected), and comes with the full Mikrotik
Router OS so you can do advanced routing stuff if needed.

* Mikrotik has some cellular modem support via USB, but I haven't tried it
on the mAP... It might be possible.

Do you have any plans for a permanent installation? I know one thing I
don't want to have to deal with during a disaster: setting up a HamWAN link.

Tom