[HamWAN PSDR] Beacon Tower-Capital Park Backbone Link

Tom Hayward tom at tomh.us
Wed Mar 28 08:46:05 PDT 2018

Randy,

Capitol Park also links to Queen Anne, which links to Haystack, so it's not
single-homed. That said, there's a lot that could be improved at Capitol
Park. It has traditionally been hard to get access to, so it doesn't get
much love.

We've never done any 24 GHz, and $1458 is a lot to spend on one link. We've
also never done any non-Mikrotik gear. A consistent OS makes writing
configuration automation a lot easier. Change is hard.

I agree with Bryan's point that I don't want to support a company lobbying
to take 10 GHz away from hams. I took a quick look and other 24 GHz gear
appears to be about twice as expensive. Hmm.

There's a lot of broken stuff right now, so my priorities for the next few
months will be helping with repairs rather than improvements. And East
Tiger is now single-homed, so it would be nice to find something for it to
connect to in the SW direction.

Sorry for the lack of depth. Busy week.

Tom